Member Feature : More about our Rising Star 2025/6, Jason Nelson

 Which causes matter most to you right now — youth, health, literacy, environment, local economic development, etc. — and why?


Youth empowerment is something I’m particularly passionate about, especially finding ways to reconnect with and empower our unattached youth. I believe many young people simply need someone to genuinely care about them, believe in their potential, and give them the support and opportunities they need to develop a renewed sense of purpose and self-worth.

Local economic development is another area I care deeply about. Jamaica has tremendous natural resources, creativity and talented people, and I believe we have the potential to achieve much stronger and more inclusive economic growth. I’m particularly interested in initiatives that create opportunities for people to become more economically independent and contribute meaningfully to their communities.

Health is also very important to me. As the old saying goes, “health is wealth.” Stronger, healthier individuals ultimately contribute to stronger families and communities.

What made you join Rotary, and what would make your membership feel meaningful to you?

I joined Rotary because I have a genuine heart for service. I think that, over time, it can be easy for us to become consumed with our own lives and lose sight of the importance of serving those who may not have had the same opportunities or advantages that we have.

For me, Rotary provides an opportunity to turn that desire to serve into meaningful action alongside other people who share that commitment. I see Rotary as a vehicle through which I can play a small but meaningful role in helping to build the Jamaica I would like to see in the future. My membership would feel most meaningful if I can look back and know that the time, skills and energy I contributed made a tangible difference in someone’s life or community.

Outside of work, what’s one hobby, passion, or fun fact about you that other members would be surprised to learn?

I can cook a mean baked chicken! Cooking is something I enjoy, and I take particular pride in my baked chicken. I’m always happy when people are surprised by just how good it is.





Comments

Popular Posts